Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ch. 2, Part 3: Sparkling Ice

(Continued from Part 2.)

After I gave my "two weeks notice" at the abandoned warehouse, by which I mean I shouted "Up yours, I'm quitting forever" to the current boss and gave them the finger, I was out looking for a job.

You'd be amazed at how many people were willing to employ an ex-criminal. It was like they didn't seem to care that I'd probably ruined something important to them at some point in time. But the problem wasn't who was willing to hire. It was what I was good at, which...to be honest, wasn't a whole lot.

Then Shark brought up something one morning. Actually, he just asked, "What's for breakfast?" I shrugged, because I didn't know. We'd basically been living off of leftovers and takeout for...well, way too long.

I myself felt like, if I have to eat anymore cold pizza, I'm going to shriek. That, or barf, one of the two, maybe both.

(His hair grew fast.)

So I went out and got a package of bacon, fried that up, and we had that. Wasn't exactly gourmet, but it was better than nothing.

Shark seemed to like it. The moment he took a bite, he just had that surprised look on his face. Then he looked up at me and told me if I ever thought about working at the diner.

Well, I was after he mentioned it. So that day, I applied at the diner, and sure enough, I was working towards my first paycheck. Of course, I had to endure teasing from the other workers. It was mostly harmless stuff, though, so I could deal with it.

I kept saving up paychecks, and stashed them away for safekeeping. Shark asked me why I was doing this. I told him, in case we had something to fall back on if he somehow lost his fortune.

It was sort of the truth, since you never know when an emergency pops up. But of course, I had another reason for saving money.

Snowflake Day was coming pretty damn fast. Shark was obviously the only person I could really get a present for. Most of his relatives were dead, and he'd already gotten presents for Dudley and Scout. Goodwin and Amy said they didn't need anything from me, either. They were just glad I remembered them.

So, when the day came, we both thankfully got the holiday off.

It started out like any other date we had. We went out to dinner, saw a movie that turned out to be nothing but dreck, the works.

Most of the town was either asleep or spending time with their own families, so it was pretty much just the two of us out in the snow. It wasn't good enough for me, though. I needed to guarantee I wasn't going to be interrupted with what I was about to do. This was between him and me.

So...I took Shark out to the other side of town. Normally, the swamp is just a really nasty place to be, but in winter, everything was froze over. It was weirdly beautiful.

It was like time itself had come to a standstill. Shark just stood there, admiring the scenery, until I got him to turn around.

I told him basically, how glad I was to have him in my life, how he was the best thing that ever happened to me, and a lot of other things.

Then I did what I'd been itching to do all night:

The look on his face when he saw me get down on one knee...you'd think he'd won the lottery. I was actually afraid he was about to piss himself. I wouldn't have minded, really, since he'd have a good reason to do so.

It was agonizing to hear what his answer was. I was in a swamp in the coldest part of winter, about freezing my ass off, on Snowflake Day. Holding an engagement ring I bought with my own money.

Of course, he told me what I was hoping to hear.

He kept dancing around, with that huge grin on his face. I don't think I've ever heard him say, 'oh my gosh' so many times before then. He asked me if he was dreaming, then when I told him he wasn't, well...that's when he said yes.

He just exclaimed that this was the happiest night of his life. I guess he didn't know what else to do, so he just ran over and hugged me.

After I got the ring onto his finger, of course.


It wasn't just the happiest night of his life. It was the happiest night of my life, as well. It felt...well, it's hard to describe how I felt.

Something tells me it's like that euphoric feeling you get after beating a freakishly hard video game for the first time. Shark would know how that felt, at least.

I'd say it was the best Snowflake Day ever. Everything about it was just so perfect.


And I do mean everything.

Heh heh heh...

(SINBAD NO WE DIDN'T NEED TO KNOW THAT MUCH)


Anyway, the day after I proposed, Shark was still over the moon about it. He was so excited, he just had to tell somebody.

He begged me to let him tell at least one person, and I told him that was fine. But only one. I didn't want anyone we knew to make a huge fuss about it.

So, the next time they ran into each other, he told his Uncle Dudley, who in turn, I'm guessing, told Scout.

I'm not sure how they felt about it, hearing their nephew and adoptive son getting married to a man who didn't exactly have a squeaky clean history.

But I didn't hear any objection about it. They hadn't seen me in prison for awhile, so there had to be something good at work.

We didn't want any fancy wedding preparations, just something low-key. Oh, sure, we had the money for one of those gigantic ceremonies you hear about on the news. Shark and I just didn't want one.

Our whole engagement was...rather uneventful. The two of us were just going about our days, going to work, coming home and eating dinner, the works.



But I could tell he was getting antsy. He wanted to get married so badly. I told him, wait until the first day of Spring. Or until the snow melts. Whatever happened first.

Apparently, the first day of Spring was the time. Yeah, there was still snow on the ground, but it wasn't like we were having the wedding outside.

Not in what we were dressed in, anyway. When Shark said he wanted to get married early in the morning, he meant, early in the morning. 

(I love private weddings in Sims 3.)


Didn't even have time to get dressed up. But I guess there's been weirder things that have happened. We do live in Twinbrook, after all.

Still, it's not every day that a couple gets married in private, in their underwear. Shark and I didn't care, though. We were happy, we were married. The rings were on the fingers, his last name was changed, it was all good and done.



We were finally able to start our married life together. And let's put it this way: the events that transpired in our marriage were...to say the least...unique.

(A/N: End of Chapter 2.)

(Fun little trivia fact: From the day he joined to the day he retired, Sinbad was the only male working at the diner.)

4 comments:

  1. Well, at least Shark never had to worry about Sinbad cheating on him with a coworker!

    Loved the chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. That is a fun fact! Haha, the part where you said Sinbad didn't know whether Shark was going to piss himself... Hahaha, so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lmao that they got married in there underwear. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting fact! Getting married in underwear...almost wish I could have done that. Would have saved a lot of money. :)

    ReplyDelete